Wednesday, December 14, 2011

punctuation - Adjective order: Why is "big" before "beautiful"?



I was reading an English children story to my niece the other day when I came across these phrases said by three different characters:






  • I want a big, beautiful hat!

  • I want a big, exciting computer!

  • I want a big, expensive TV!




Why is the first adjective big and not the adjective expressing an evaluation or opinion? I thought adjectives expressing the speaker's opinion came first and foremost. I am also curious about the comma separating the two adjectives, how does it affect meaning?



And finally, if I were to insert red in the first example, where would it fit best and should I keep the commas?





I want a big, beautiful red hat!
I want a beautiful, big red hat!
I want a big, red, beautiful hat!



Answer



Commas between adjectives are typically used for adjectives from the same category:




That was a very expensive, boring, useless conference. (Opinion
adjectives)




?That was a very expensive boring useless conference.




Adjectives from different categories are not usually separated by commas:




She's just bought a beautiful new red car.





However, writers may separate words from different categories with commas, and reorder them, in order to give each word individually a focus that it would not have in a non-comma-separated list. This is what is happening with sentences such as:




I want a big, red, beautiful hat!



No comments:

Post a Comment