Monday, December 12, 2011

grammar - Alternatives to use technical protocol terms as verb in a sentence



I find it much easier to say:





  1. I can RDP to your computer

  2. Please SFTP the files to me





than to say:





  1. I can use the RDP (protocol) to establish a connection to your computer

  2. Please send the files to me using the SFTP (protocol)





These technical protocol terms are not verbs: RDP, SFTP, SSH, telnet, VPN, email, etc.



How can I get around this to be grammatically correct and at the same time avoid the clumsiness?



Or, one day, (already?) will using these technical terms as verb be approved and added to modern English grammar rules?


Answer



I would choose to use abstraction with the potential addition of "via" if clarity is needed.



Depending on with whom your are speaking, you audience my vary well not care about the underlying technology. in which case





I can RDP into your computer




Becomes




I can remotely connect to your computer.





Abstracting out the technological details will in most cases bridge the gap of communication between you and your potentially less knowledgeable audience.



However, if you need to specify the technology, consider the abstracted sentence followed by "via"




I can remotely connect to your computer via RDP.




I believe this makes your sentence more comprehensible, yet provides the requisite details.




SteveJ


No comments:

Post a Comment