Thursday, December 1, 2011

grammar - What is the difference between the two sentences? 'crying kid' and 'kid crying'




  1. I comforted a crying kid.


  2. I comforted a kid crying.



Is there any difference of the two sentences above in meaning?


Answer



(1) I comforted a crying kid.



(2) I comforted a kid crying.



Pragmatically, there’s no real difference, since they both mean “Some kid was crying and I comforted it”.




You didn't ask, but grammatically there is a difference in the role of "crying". In (1) the pre-modifier "crying" is a verb phrase (VP) whose head is the gerund-participle "crying", but in (2), the post-modifying verb "crying" is head of a non-finite gerund-participial clause, whose meaning is similar to the relative clause in I comforted a kid who was crying.


No comments:

Post a Comment