Sunday, November 3, 2019

phrases - "As a(n) X", followed by a statement not from the perspective of X

Am I correct that the following is an error, and, if so, of what type? (I'm almost positive I once knew the term to describe this increasingly common construction and that it was considered ungrammatical.)




I believe the sentence,



While on tour, the children lived with Georgiana's mother in Philadelphia,




is meant to convey:



While the parents were on tour, the children lived with Georgiana's mother in Philadelphia.



However, my uncertainty was the catalyst for the question in question. The sentence is from this section of this Wikipedia article.




Is the following sentence an error of the same type, a different type, or not an error at all?





As a roller coaster lover, that one was surprisingly boring,



which seems to claim the ride is a roller coaster lover. Instead, what was actually meant was something like:



As a roller coaster lover, I thought that one was surprisingly boring.




I know that in some acceptable constructions certain words are understood. Is that the case in either or both of my examples or in similar ones?




I realize this may be a duplicate question, but, if so, I was unable to come up with the appropriate search terms to discover it. (Which also explains my inability to come up with a good title for this question.)

No comments:

Post a Comment