Wednesday, November 13, 2019

grammar - 'Who' versus 'what' when talking about relationships between two people



I'm taking an intro Spanish class and we learned the phrase "qué es ella de ti" to ask how someone is related to someone else. "Qué" is the equivalent of "what". I was confused about why you wouldn't use the equivalent of "who"... I considered what would be appropriate in English but I'm still confused. I guess "what" makes sense since you're actually talking about the relationship and not directly the person. However, because a person is involved I think "who" sounds more natural; to me, this seems especially true in past tense. "What" also makes sense because the reply "it is complicated" seems to fit.



Consider:



(Looking at a photo)
Who is she to you? She is my grandmother|friend.
What is she to you? She is my grandmother|friend.




(In reference to a dead person)
Who was she to you? She was my grandmother|friend.
What was she to you? She was my grandmother|friend.



Even if it is an awkward way to ask the question, which is correct and why? Not too sure how to tag this question.


Answer



'What...' is more common than 'Who...'



What in this context does not refer directly to her. It refers to the basis or reason for your knowing each other. The question asks what it is that she does that results in your knowing each other (e.g. she goes to the same swimming pool as me, she is my accountant...).




Who refers to her directly. The question asks her relationship to you (e.g. sister, mother, mother's friend, best friend, class mate...).



Clearly, there can be some overlap. But, taking your first example...



Who is she to you? She is my grandmother.



What is she to you? One of the most important people in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment