Thursday, November 21, 2019

grammar - Giving an example of a "problem" where the example is plural

I've got this sentence here:




The most recent problem I can think of is personal knowledge management systems.




That seems grammatically incorrect because of the mismatch between the singular problem and the plural systems, but I can't just change it to





The most recent problem I can think of are personal knowledge management systems.




or




The most recent problems I can think of are personal knowledge management systems.




The only one that seems correct is





The most recent problem I can think of is the problem of personal knowledge management systems.




I think this equates the singular problem to the also singular problem of personal knowledge management systems. But it's extremely awkward. Any suggestions on how to handle situations similar to this?

No comments:

Post a Comment