Wednesday, November 6, 2019

grammar - it's important that he... -- it's important for him to

I'm always struggling with these structures:



1) It's important/vital/essential that + subject + (should +) verb




  • It's vital that you (should) do exactly as I say.


  • It's important that they (should) attend every day.

  • It's essential that everyone (should) be here on time.



2) It's strange/natural/interesting/curious that + subject + should + verb




  • It's curious that they should offer him the job.

  • It's strange that he should be late.

  • It's only natural that parents worry about their children.




Even though I know these sentences are grammatically correct I find them a little complicated and cumbersome with all the "shoulds" and subjunctives and everything, so I tend to avoid them and say:



It's important/vital/strange/natural/etc. + for + pronoun + to...



The thing is I'm not sure this is always correct. Do you think it's possible to change the sentences above this way?




  • It's vital that you do exactly as I say. → It's vital for you to do exactly as I say.


  • It's important that they attend every day. → It's important for them to attend every day.

  • It's essential that everyone be here on time. → It's essential for everyone to be here on time.

  • It's curious that they should offer him the job. → It's curious for them to offer him the job.

  • It's strange that he should be late. → It's strange for him to be late.

  • It's only natural that parents worry about their children. → It's only natural for parents to worry about their children.



So can I think of this as a rule that works (at least) most of the time?



Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment