Monday, April 8, 2019

usage - Can "it's" be used as a question?




In my experience, people say "it's" in place of "it is," but never in the form of a question. I think the question "It's?" sounds awkward, but I'd like to know if it's grammatically correct. Is it?



This question was inspired by this image on Merriam-Webster's website:

It's used as a question


Answer



You can only contract auxiliary verbs, and never at the end of the sentence, where they would gain stress and therefore not be subject to reduction:




  • He’s sleeping in today.

  • I’ve got something to tell you.



However, these are not auxiliary verbs but principal ones falling at the end, and therefore may not be contracted:





  • I know where he is.

  • You must be wondering what I have.



The contracted forms are ungrammatical there:




  • I know where *he’s.


  • You must be wondering what I’ve.


No comments:

Post a Comment