Friday, April 5, 2019

subjects - Is " ... and was wondering ..." correct?











Since I'm a native Spanish speaker I tend to suppress the subject a lot when speaking, since most of the time it's tacit for us.




So, many times I find myself writing things like "but I'm not sure, and was wondering", which sounds good to me, but then I realize that, in this case, was doesn't have a corresponding subject, at least not an immediate one.



Can the subject (I) from the first part of the sentence be considered as the subject of the remaining statement ("was wondering")? I guess not, but it doesn't hurt to ask.


Answer



Yes, you can apply the subject of the sentence to multiple predicates, e.g.:




I found a seat, curled up, and began to read my book.




I think so, but I'm not sure, and was wondering that myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment