Sunday, April 14, 2019

grammaticality - How can "of me doing something" be grammatically correct? What grammar rule is this?


The first book on my list has actually been recommended to me like
multiple times over the years of me doing BookTube.




I found that sentence in my English book, and the last part where it reads of me doing BookTube confuses me terribly. Shouldn't the object of a preposition be a noun or pronoun, not a verb? How can verbs be nouns?



The book translated the phrase into "while/when I am doing Booktube" and so I understand what it seems to be intended to mean here.




Could it perhaps be that there are some words omitted from the full sentence that if I knew what these unwritten words were, I would then be able to understand its syntactic structure more clearly? Did it skip writing the words "when/while I am" there? Why would the subject "I" turn into "me"? Is that still the verb's subject or did changing it that way now make it the verb's object? Why would all those words go missing? It is very confusing.



If this is actually a valid type of English syntax used by native speakers that nobody ever taught me, could you please give me some similar examples so that I can understand its exact meaning and grammatical structure?



Why aren't we taught this syntax if it is actually used in real English?

No comments:

Post a Comment