Saturday, February 2, 2019

What is the question for "twice as many ... as" format?




I have a question about how to make a certain type of question.



There is the statement here:




The airplane has twice as many engines as it requires.




I want to make a question the answer to which is:





twice as many engines as it requires




which specifically emphasizes twice as many. Not a yes/no question, but a wh/h question.






I asked some native speakers of English and they provided me with sentences like:





How many engines does the airplane have?




or




How many more engines does the airplane have?





But I think the answers to those questions, for example for a plane with 8 engines, are "eight engines", and "four more engines", not "twice as many engines as it requires".



I made the following question but I wonder if it's grammatically correct:




How many times as many engines as required does the airplane have?




Does anyone have a better suggestion?


Answer




Okay, the concept of "times" or "factor" is - if I've read all your comments correctly - critical. So how about:



How many times the required number of engines does this airplane have?



Or:



By what factor does this airplane’s number of engines exceed the requirement?



The answer to both questions cannot be:




The airplane has eight engines.



Nor can it be:



It has four more engines than it requires.



The answer (given a required 4 but extant 8) must be:



The airplane has twice as many engines as it requires.


No comments:

Post a Comment