Tuesday, February 19, 2019

grammatical number - "X of 1 Points" or "X of 1 Point"?



I am trying to express credit earned toward a total number of points, and I'm considering two ways to write it in the case where full credit is only one point:




  • X of 1 points

  • X of 1 point



My opinion is that the first one sounds more correct, but I'm not sure.




I am using these standalone to display as titles over something and it is possible to get a fractional amount of points.



Would it make a difference what the first number is? For example, if they get full credit would it be "1 of 1 Point" but otherwise it's (for example) ".5 of 1 Points"?



I should make note that full credit isn't always worth one point and the actual number of points it is worth is important to make known (since it can be different for each question) so the total points has to be there.


Answer



If you are tracking points toward a goal, where the goal in some cases is one point, I would label it “X of 1 point,” “X of 2 points,” and so on. My reasoning is that this heading is an abbreviation of “X [points scored out] of 1 point [possible],” thus the plurality is of 1 and not of X.



However, as other people have noted, there may be better ways to present the data.



No comments:

Post a Comment