Thursday, February 21, 2019

possessives - Should I write each "team's", "teams" or "team" captain?



I'm writing about the captains of sport teams. Each team has one and only one captain. I'm confused on how to express this :




We will communicate this information to ...






  • each team captain

  • each team's captain

  • each teams captain

  • each teams' captain



It's my understanding that each is followed by a singular as per https://dictionary.cambridge.org/fr/grammaire/grammaire-britannique/each, so I think I should use captain against captains (I could be wrong on this one too, though)




However, I'm confused with the "team" part. There are several teams, so should I pluralize this word here ? Also, maybe should I use the possessive 's ?



Which is the correct way to complete the sentence ?


Answer



It should be each team’s captain, because each implies you’re talking about each of several teams individually, so you can use team’s as the singular possessive.


No comments:

Post a Comment