Wednesday, February 13, 2019

grammar - Usage of the article 'the' in the phrase Internet of Things



I am writing a paper on the topic, Internet of Things as a part of my curriculum. I couldn't help but wonder as to why every article, conference paper and journal publication refers to it as "The Internet of Things ". If my memory serves the is added to a noun (common noun) or a phrase if it weren't specific (or precise) enough. There are cases wherein proper nouns also take the article 'the' like names of geographical locations such as rivers, oceans, mountain ranges etc. However I don't see a need for using 'the' in this context. The name of the topic in itself is precise enough and leads to no confusion of subject after all.



I know there is a question about usage of articles properly, that has been answered. However, it doesn't answer my question accurately. So I implore the readers to not jump the gun and mark this question as duplicate.
References:





  1. Wikipedia


  2. Cisco


  3. Techopedia


  4. Tech-target



Answer



I don't know what the subject actually is (it's your paper), but I can imagine "the internet of things" as a phrase describing a particular aspect of the internet that you might be writing about. You could have "The internet of people", "the internet of rumour", "the internet of conspiracy theories".



Other parallel examples: "The Cornwall of my childhood", "The cinema of shock", "The politics of class".



No comments:

Post a Comment