Thursday, February 7, 2019

grammaticality - Can "If I would" ever be correct?



I came across this construction that was being said by a native English speaker (AmE):





Usually actually at this point, you don't really know what the Git
repository is going to be so I'm not sure if I would ever know
this question.




Is that a grammatical inaccuracy, or is the "If I would" construction correct in some contexts?


Answer



"I'm not sure if I would ever know this question" is not grammatically correct, but "if I would" is perfectly valid.



Would is a modal auxiliary verb that indicates the likelihood of something; in this case, whether or not the speaker "knows the question." I'm assuming he is referring to the answer to the question; "I'm not sure if I would ever know the answer to this question" is grammatically correct and suggests that the question may be impossible to answer.



No comments:

Post a Comment