Saturday, September 29, 2018

Quotation marks and types of dialogue

I'm editing the autobiography of a German-American woman who grew up during Hitler's reign. There are several instances where she uses quotation marks in a way that I'm not sure is correct.



1.
Life has a way of taking unexpected turns, or as a German saying goes, "Der Mensch denkt, Gott lenkt."



Is it correct to use quotation marks around the saying in this instance? She's not actually speaking it. Should it be italicized?




2.
However, when I told them I was pregnant, I was out the door. "We cannot have a pregnant woman stand behind the counter and serve our clients. How would that look?" I was devastated.



Obviously, these quotes are paraphrased and not verbatim words in a direct quote, and they stand alone within the paragraph. The speaker is not identified. I'm thinking the best remedy is to rewrite these sentences and describe what was said instead of treating what was said as quotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment