Friday, September 21, 2018

grammar - What's the correct verb matching for a 'who' referring to the subject of a previous independent clause?

I was proofreading today and came to a weird situation. Maybe I've stared at it too long and I just need to rest my brain. Here was the sentence:





"You can rest assured that the question is resolved by a member of our Legal Team, who always try to solve any issues quickly and concisely."




'Legal Team' is the name of the team and they wanted it capitalized. Whatever.



For the use case here, would you say 'who always try' or 'who always tries'?



The who is referring to the member, since the 'Legal Team' is the subject of the preposition. I mentioned that it should be 'who always tries', but my co-worker says it's 'try.' I can't really explain to him why I feel like it's tries in an English manner, I just know something's up with it.




I would assume it's because 'who' can be singular or plural that leads to the confusion, and the recent use of the word 'team' in 'Legal Team' might mislead folks to think the who is referring to the 'Legal Team' rather than the single member doing the solving. In that case, it might be better to rewrite it to:




"You can rest assured that the question is resolved by a member of our Legal Team, who will try to solve any issues quickly and concisely."




since the anonymous single member would probably not be eligible for something as broad as 'who always tries.'



I think I'm thinking too much on this. Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment