Friday, September 21, 2018

emphasis - Is "It is these two issues that we need to pay attention to." a correct sentence?

I hear many native speakers do say sentences that do not strictly follow the subject-verb agreement grammar rules. (This is off-topic, but do they do it without realizing it?)



But in writing, this shouldn't be the case. So I'm wondering how to phrase the sentence in the title. I cannot specify the exact reason, but I can sense that there is a difference in how the two sentences sound:





  1. We need to pay attention to these two issues.


  2. It is these two issues that we need to pay attention to.




For me, the latter seems to emphasize the issues after mentioning the issues beforehand, whereas the former just sounds weaker.



According to the subject-verb agreement, the latter should be written in other form. But how?



Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment