Saturday, September 15, 2018

punctuation - How to use hyphens appropriately when listing multiple hyphenated terms?

If multiple hyphenated terms share the same latter half, and I wish to list them without repeating that latter half, how should the hyphens be placed?



For example:





I will be investigating control issues in ground-based, water-based, and air-based robots.




If I do not want to repeat based, could I write:




I will be investigating control issues in ground-, water-, and air-based robots.





Is it correct to just leave a hyphen dangling after ground and water?



If not, how should it be written? I know the original sentence doesn't sound too bad, but I really just want to know the punctuation rule (or the convention in American English if there is no rule).

No comments:

Post a Comment