Friday, January 12, 2018

word choice - "send ... both me and ..." vs "send ... both myself and ..."



Which is correct/preferable in the context of a third party sending file X via email: "please send X to both me and Ann" or "please send X to both myself and Ann" and why? Google returns hundreds of millions of results for both.



Same question for a different word order:"please send both me and Ann X [once it's ready]" vs "please send both myself and Ann X [once it's ready]". Or is such a word order wrong altogether?


Answer




1) "please send X to both me and Ann"
2) "please send X to both myself and Ann"
3) "please send both me and Ann X [once it's ready]"
4) "please send both myself and Ann X [once it's ready]"





This is the classic "me, myself, and I" question.



The classic solution: remove everyone else1:




1) "please send X to me"
2) "please send X to myself"
3) "please send me X [once it's ready]"
4) "please send myself X [once it's ready]"




It should be clear that 1 and 3 are preferable.


No comments:

Post a Comment