Sunday, January 28, 2018

grammatical number - Attached is my thoughts. Plural or singular?



In an email I wrote :





Attached is my thoughts.




And then thought about it.



My attachment is a singular attachment. My thoughts are in the plural, within the single attachment.



But the very fact that I thought about it makes me wonder if this is one of those occasions when, whatever the formal and technical condition may be, the psychology of the statement overrides.




Any thoughts ?


Answer



Grammatically speaking, as far as I know:



"Attached are my thoughts."



Same as "My thoughts are attached."
(That's simple present tense in passive).




Or better



"Find attached my thoughts."



But



"Attached is my document"



same as:




"My document/ file is attached"



or better:



"find attached my document.


No comments:

Post a Comment