Tuesday, January 30, 2018

nouns - The use of reflexive pronouns

I am currently doing homework for a linguistics course I am taking.



The question is about creating a rule to make confirm if certain sentences are grammatical or ungrammatical.




Here are some examples, with those with a star in front signifying that the sentence is ungrammatical.



Set 1:




a. I saw myself in the mirror.



b. * Myself saw me in the mirror.



c. I showed the monkey himself in the mirror.




d. * I showed himself the monkey in the mirror.




Set 2:




a. Carla read a book about herself.



b. * A book about Carla upset herself.




c. John’s teachers respect themselves.



d. * John’s teachers respect himself.




Set 3:




a. I know that Mary likes herself.




b. * I know that Mary likes myself.




For this homework, I need to create a rule to make all those sentences with no * grammatical, and all the sentences with * ungrammatical. This rule has to apply for all 3 sets of sentences.



Currently, the rule I have come up with is:
A reflexive pronoun can only be used to an entity that has already been mentioned.



However, this rule only can be applied to sets 1 and 2.




Does anyone have any idea on a rule that can be applied to all 3 sets?

No comments:

Post a Comment