Tuesday, October 11, 2016

word choice - Are there any differences between "I believe" vs "I think" vs "I reckon"?



These are the three most common ways to say "I think." (At least, I believe so. I mean, I think so. Um...)



Are there any subtle differences between them?
Are there situations where one of the three is more suitable than the others?
Can you say you hear a particular form all the time in the streets, while the other two are much less common?


Answer



"I think" is a statement of cursory conclusion, while "I believe" indicates a more deeply considered and committed position. Note that someone may say "I think" when they actually mean "I believe", simply because it might be received as less confrontational. "I reckon" carries an ever lower level of assertion than "I think", (or perhaps an even higher level of conciliation).


No comments:

Post a Comment