Friday, October 28, 2016

grammar - Is using past participle instead of present one more polite?

On christianity.stackexchange.com I asked this question:




"Is it true that John Paul the Second restored the practice of selling indulgences in 2000?"



and one supporter suggested that I replace selling with sold as in this way it will sound less accusatory.



While not being a native English speaker and at the same not doubting a bit about that supporter's command of English, I am still puzzled here about how changing the tense of the verb can make things sound less accusatory. In fact, I don't quite see how the question is accusatory in the first place. Perhaps, there is some subtlety in English grammar here that I am not aware about.



Can anyone, please, explain this to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment