Saturday, October 29, 2016

grammaticality - 'For while ..., yet ...' : Right quantity and use of conjunctions?


For while the capacity to overcome all opposing sensible impulses can and must be simply presupposed in man on account of his freedom, yet this capacity as strength is something he must acquire. (Kant, Metaphysics of Morals, p. 397)




for {conjunction} {literary} = Because; since



yet {conjunction} =
But at the same time; but nevertheless




Did I correctly identify the grammatical categories and definitions?
If so, are these conjunctions used rightly? I can't pinpoint why; so please help me discover why, but it sounds wrong to write:
Because while ..., but nevertheless ...?



Footnote: I don't know which English translation was used by Dr Mark D White, who authored the webpage on which I encountered this quote. Yet I realise that the transation may be old; so it would feature olden (pun intended) grammar.

No comments:

Post a Comment