Wednesday, October 19, 2016

grammaticality - What's wrong with 'caught no mice'?




In Kipling's story "Below the Mill Dam", this passage occurs:




"He shouted large and vague threats to my address, last night at tea, that he wasn't going to keep cats who 'caught no mice'. Those were his words. I remember the grammar sticking in my throat like a herring-bone."




The speaker, like all cats, is fastidious to the point of pedantry, so the point of grammar can only be a trivial, or even ridiculous, one; but even so I can't see anything wrong with the expression. Can any fellow-pedant, or cat, enlighten me?


Answer



It's the verb tense.





*I'm not going to keep cats who caught no mice.




is wrong, it should be "catch no mice" or "who have caught no mice."


No comments:

Post a Comment