Thursday, October 13, 2016

grammar - When can verb come before subject?





I am not a native English speaker, but I am interested in learning a certain grammar rule. I did come across many sentences where the subject and the verb switched their positions.



For example, I can say that I don't like apples nor does my friend. Here, the modal verb does comes before the subject my friend.



Another example: not only is he a great person, but he is humble.




What is this rule and when is it appropriate to use it?


Answer



English has quite a strong tendency to have the verb second in the sentence (not necessarily the second word, but the second constituent) Normally the subject is the first constituent that precedes it; but there are a number of other items which may serve that function, and in those cases the subject moves after the verb:




  • Emphatic negatives:





Never shall I see him again.



Neither could they reach it that day.



At no time did I notice this.





  • Other adverbs with negative polarity:





Rarely did they come and visit.



Hardly had I arrived than he spoke.




These are mostly a bit literary, but as you point out "neither/nor does ... " is normal in speech.


No comments:

Post a Comment