Sunday, October 23, 2016

expressions - A fun, catchy way to say the opposite of a 'no-brainer'?




A no-brainer is "something that requires a minimum of thought" (Merriam-Webster). I could use some help with a catchy way of saying the opposite.



Sample sentence:



"I have to make a decision and it is definitely not a no-brainer, in fact, it's a real ___________."



I almost want to say, "...it's a real brainer." but that just sounds silly.



You could always say "...it's a difficult decision" but that's pretty bland.




Someone suggested brain-teaser in the comments, but I'm thinking of the context of a life decision like, "Should I accept this job?" or "Should I get married?" -- something of that order -- rather than a riddle.



I searched for 'antonyms of no-brainer' online but the first three hits came up empty.


Answer



Head-scratcher




2 Informal (originally US). A perplexing problem or question;
something which causes bafflement or puzzlement.





https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/head-scratcher



Although OED says that this term is originally AmE, it is certainly widely understood in BrE.


No comments:

Post a Comment