Thursday, October 1, 2015

Which grammar to talk about daily tasks?




I am not native English speaker and I'm a bit confused about a basic grammar situation.



Here the situation:



My job consists of building websites. I have been working on a project for 2 weeks and still have a couple of weeks to go.



I want to share the current result to a friend:




"Hey guys, I'd like to share the website with you..."





  • I am making -> Because the website is still in developement right now

  • I have made -> Because I started to make it in the past and it is still in development

  • I make -> Because I work on it all days; it's habitual work.




Are any of these the correct phrase?
What is the best/(only ?) way to say it ?



Answer



Each of your choices means something slightly different:




  • "Hey guys, I'd like to share with you the website I am making." This means that the website is still being built, but you'd like to share the work that you have done to this point.

  • "Hey guys, I'd like to share with you the website I have made." I finished the website; check it out!

  • "Hey guys, I'd like to share with you the website I build." I substituted I build for I make. This means that you are regularly updating the website (and your friends are invited to see it). There's nothing wrong with make in general, but you simply wouldn't say that you make a website; you'd use build. In fact, the previous two items would sound better with I am building and I have built.


No comments:

Post a Comment