Sunday, October 25, 2015

grammaticality - If I can say "not that good a review," does that mean I can say "not that good reviews"?

I'm new to the template, so please forgive my ignorance of this community's parlance, formalities.




I'd imagine that many here have seen the construction:



"Adjective + Article + Noun," as in "so fine a person," or "that fine a person."



My question pertains to the possibility of a "Adjective + Plural Noun" construction, as in "They weren't THAT GOOD REVIEWS," or, "They weren't THAT GOOD PEOPLE."
This sounds stilted at best and at worst, wrong. Do these sentences require the addition of an "Article + Singular Noun + Of" between the adjective and plural noun, as in "They weren't that good A GROUP OF people"?



Thank you to all who can shed light on the matter. I'm still a high school student and am acquiring the tools necessary to analyze problems like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment