Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Can “adulting” be considered a verb, or is it only ever a noun?

I know the word has exploded in popularity in recent times, but I'm not sure how to use it right.




This TIME article considers the word a verb, so does this M-W blog. However, the ODO entry only mentions it as a mass noun or a modifier, conspicuously leaving out any mention of verbs:




informal



[mass noun] The practice of behaving in a way characteristic of a responsible adult, especially the accomplishment of mundane but necessary tasks:



‘it feels really good to take a step back from adulting and have someone else cook dinner for me’



[as modifier] ‘I finished all my adulting requirements for the week’





I recognize that one dictionary entry doesn't prove/disprove anything. Still, if I think about it, I have to agree with ODO; because to me, sentences like:





  • I hate adulting.





sound idiomatic, but when I try to frame sentences that use it blatantly as a verb, like:





  • I adulted yesterday and I hated it.

  • I need to adult tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to it.




I'm not sure if they're idiomatic. My questions are:





  1. Can adulting be considered a verb, or is it just a noun?

  2. Do these sentences sound right, usage-wise?

  3. Are they grammatically correct?



Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment