Friday, August 22, 2014

word choice - What are the grammatical rules for use of "these", "those", and "them"?




I am unclear of the use of [these|those] objects. I am unsure when to use [these|those|them].





Please someone help me tell me which is correct in the previous sentences.



This is not a dupe of What's the difference between "these" and "those"?


Answer



These, those and them may all be used as objects of a sentence or a preposition.



Said when no books are present:




I lost my books. Did you see them?





Said while pointing toward a flock of geese:




I see some geese. Do you see those?




Said while holding a handful of diamonds.





I found some diamonds. Did you see these?




You can also use two of the three as modifiers for nouns:




Did you those geese?



Did you see these diamonds?





But it is ungrammatical to say




Did you see them books?



No comments:

Post a Comment