Wednesday, August 27, 2014

A question about the proper usage of articles



I am working on my paper in English. It concerns the so-called problem of perception. The concept of the problem of perception is part of epistemological literature about perception; some argue that as long as we have illusions, hallucinations etc. our ordinary conception of perception is false. I am trying to show that the argument is incorrect itself. Since perception itself, as a phenomenon, does not 'suffer' from any such problem but, as I argue, the mentioned argument does, I think it would be useful to emphasize this in the title. This seems due for against the background of the 'infallibility' of perception itself the falsity of the argument will become more salient. So far I have had this version as a working one:



Is the "Problem of Perception" a Problem of Perception?



As I understand, article "the" supports there the meaning of a specific epistemological problem the reader is familiar with, and article "a" that of one problem of the possible many of perception itself. Yet am not sure that the articles actually support the meaning I would like to express by the title. So here is my question:



Does the above combination of articles, 'the' and 'a', respectively support the intended meaning?


Answer




Yes, the articles are used correctly for your context. You might want to consider keeping the outside the quitation marks.


No comments:

Post a Comment