Saturday, August 23, 2014

conditionals - Does good grammar offend?

I'm not a grammar nazi in my native language, and SURELY nor in the language I learn (English). And I think, when a person is expressing thoughts, he or she shouldn't think about grammatical structures, moods, syntax etc., but about WHAT he/she's really saying. That's what I do in my own language. But when I communicate with an English-speaker, I can't help thinking of it. Because I haven't started thinking in English yet.




Situation 1.
I am chatting with somebody on the Internet, and this person writes something like "Oh your funny", and keeps writing your instead of you're. So when I respond, I write "You're funny too". Wouldn't it make me look like I want to reproach this person?



Situation 2.
I am talking to a person who's just said "If I was ... ". And the moment when I need to say the sentence with Conditional 2 is coming, so should I say "If I were" (just because I like it and was taught so)? Will he/she think, "Oh look who's talking, wants to make himself look smart".



P. S. Yes, I know that nowadays both variants are correct, but as far as I'm not the native speaker, they're the same to me. And I guess they're not the same to you...

No comments:

Post a Comment