Thursday, December 27, 2012

word choice - Which preposition to use with "social media"?



I have this sentence, and I'm not sure which preposition is best to use with social media.



Teens take videos and post them through social media.



Should it be--



through social media?




to social media?



on social media?



or rewrite: on social media sites?



Thanks.


Answer



For your particular example, I would suggest to. I think they are all legit, though. It's the Wild West for social media language standards right now. However, I think there are some useful shades of meaning. A politician might get his message out through social media. This is about getting a message out. A teen would say they posted a picture to Facebook. So to for a specific post. through for a broader usage.


No comments:

Post a Comment