Monday, December 3, 2012

phrase usage - "I too" versus "me too"




I was talking to someone earlier today, and while trying to relate with them, I suddenly found myself trying to decide between "I too" and "me too". I can't quite grasp their differences.



As I understand it, "me too" is valid only on its own, in response to someone's statement.





Person 1: I absolutely love that new album



Person 2: Me too! Doesn't everyone?




Whereas, "I too" works (I believe) in both that scenario, as well as at (is that wording correct?) the beginning of a response phrase.




Person 3: I too, enjoy the album you mentioned.





Regardless of whether I am right or not, can someone please explain the mechanics behind this?


Answer



In modern English, we don't use nominative case Subjects when there isn't a tensed verb in that clause.




It is rare for [him to miss a class].



*It is rare for [he to miss a class]. (ungrammatical)





The proform too can stand in for a tensed verb phrase. However, because it is not actually a verb and therefore has no tense, we cannot use a nominative Subject with it:





  • *I too! (ungrammatical)


  • Me too! (grammatical)





No comments:

Post a Comment