Sunday, December 16, 2012

usage - Can you say 'you' after 'cut off'?



If you cut or rip something off somebody (I know it must seem a little strange to ask a question about this context, but I am writing a rap song and want to be sure about this phrase) and you want to say: 'I rip your head off', could you also say the following?





'I rip your head off you'




Would it still make sense or just sound weird?


Answer



Your example would work, but it's certainly sounds odd.



To my ear at least, your sentence makes sense, but implies that you are holding your head rather than, for want of a better word, wearing it.




I would opt for




I rip your head off




Rather than the strange





I rip your head off you




As suggested by Scott in the comments, I rip you head off your body would work, but still sounds less idiomatic than my preferred version.


No comments:

Post a Comment