Thursday, December 20, 2012

The passive that begins with 'It is thought' and past tense

Today doing some English grammar exercises I stumbled upon the two examples in The passive section:





It is believed that the children had been hiding for two weeks.



It was thought that the book had been destroyed.




The thing that puzzles me much is the usage of Past Perfect in the first sentence




had been hiding





and, probably, in the second sentence




had been destroyed




I had been searching over the Internet for several hours without any comprehensive answer found.




Would anyone please give a reference to the rule that explains the usage of Past Perfect in constructions like that?



The other related case is the following:




The athlete was alleged to have cheated



I'm sorry for what I said. I was trying to be funny. It was supposed to be a joke



The book was thought to have been destroyed





Why can't I say respectively the following:




The athlete was alleged to cheat



It was supposed to have been a joke



The book was thought to be destroyed





I'm able to easily find the rules on more simple constructions like It is thought that ... + Present Indefinite / Present Perfect but no comprehensive sources on similar but + Past Perfect



The book with exercises is highly recognizable btw but it doesn't give the answer



Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment