Monday, December 30, 2019

grammar - What is the grammatically correct way to frame this sentence?

I saw this sentence online and it has been bothering me:



"Tomorrow is me and my girlfriend's anniversary."



I immediately had an aversion to this sentence after reading it but then I quickly had an aversion to my own corrections in my head:




"My girlfriend's and my anniversary is tomorrow."



"The anniversary of my girlfriend and me is tomorrow."



The original author's sentence plus my two corrections all "sound" incorrect despite one having a better chance at being grammatically correct.



The original author I think confused the adverb "Tomorrow" as being the subject since he or she (I don't want to assume the author is heterosexual) chose to begin the sentence with it. However, in my estimation the subject of a sentence will remain so no matter where it's placed within the sentence; thus, "tomorrow" cannot be the subject but rather "anniversary" is which led me to use the options I listed above. Which of these "corrections" is correct and why? Both? Neither?



Thank You





Edit: Thank you all for the replies. Basically, I'm having a crisis of what sounds good to the ear and is standard versus what can
sound incorrect/complex/clumsy to the ear but still be viewed as
grammatically viable. Yes, adding a verb to describe what the couple
would do on their anniversary and/or replacing "me and my girlfriend"
with a standard possessive adjective "our" would easily solve the
issue. But I guess my question was more about how irritatingly close
can a speaker get to "bad grammar" or "broken English" without it
being so? That's why I tried to use the OA's words at my disposal.



No comments:

Post a Comment