Tuesday, December 10, 2019

grammar - How to write quotes and singing in dialogue


Ben stared into the distance, then rose from his seat and with his arms held wide, “By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes.”



And as Jane followed his gaze, “My tongue will tell the anger of my heart, or else my heart concealing it will break.”



“Though she be but little, she is fierce!” chuckled Victor.





Would it be correct to write the quotes in the dialogue in this way or would it be expected that the quotes should be centred in the page?




And as Jane followed his gaze, “My tongue will tell the anger of my heart, or else my heart concealing it will break.”




The above is a subordinate clause. Would I get away with that, so I can avoid the rather tedious he said, she said that breaks flow in dialogue in writing? Or would I have to join it to the sentence above, which could cause confusion as to who the speaker is, or would it?



Would it be necessary to capitalise as in Something in the first quote as this would be a new line in the play script.




Secondly, would the same rules apply for singing dialogue in a narrative?




At this point Ben was swinging around the lamppost, “Slast Chlistmas, I gave you my heart.”




Is this okay without he sang?




Jenny joined tunelessly, “And the very next day, you gave it away.”



No comments:

Post a Comment