Sunday, December 23, 2018

uncountable nouns - Mixing countability; how to correctly say "there is plenty of rice, earthquakes and typhoons"?



In this question I wrote the following sentence, knowing full well that it has problems.




Where I live right now there is plenty of rice, earthquakes and typhoons.





Both earthquake and typhoon are countable nouns, while rice in this context is probably considered uncountable.



I could split this up into two sentences, or separate the rice from the other two within the sentence, for example: Where I live right now there are plenty of earthquakes and typhoons to go along with the rice although I'm sure someone else could find a more graceful way to do it.



There are some possibly helpful recommendations in this answer but I'm not sure how to apply them here.



But here I am asking if there is a way that I can keep the three nouns as close together as possible.


Answer




The OP asks: “But here I am asking if there is a way that I can keep the three nouns as close together as possible”



One sentence.




Earthquakes and typhoons are as plentiful as rice where I live.



No comments:

Post a Comment