Saturday, December 15, 2018

grammar - Using "e.g." instead of "for example"



I am reviewing a software manual, and I frequently come across sentences like (made-up example):





The value is 1, but you can set it to e.g. 100




It seems to me that the use of "e.g." is wrong in this case and "for example" should be used instead. I have difficulty expressing why I feel this way, but if you take the meaning of "e.g." to be "for the sake of example" it seems to me that the general case is not explicitly specified (what is 100 an example of?).



I think it should be either





The value is 1, but you can set it to another value, e.g. 100.




or




The value is 1, but you can set it to for example 100.




Does anyone know if my intuition is right (I'm not a native speaker), or whether or not there are any formal rules to this?



Answer



Your hunch is right. The given statement is wrong.




The value is 1, but you can set it to another value, e.g. 100.




is correct.





The value is 1, but you can set it, for example, to 100.




The preposition was a bit off, but correct otherwise



It should be noted that e.g. is more commonly used with lists of examples.



As in:





life events (e.g. birth, death and marriage)




Sources - Wiktionary, Oxford, M-W


No comments:

Post a Comment