Monday, December 24, 2018

punctuation - Should I use a comma before "and" or "or"?



Is using a comma then an "and" or an "or" after it proper punctuation?
Example:





  • I fell over, and hurt my knee.

  • Should I go, or not?




Answer



Whether it is correct to use a comma before a coordinating conjunction ("and", "but", "or", "nor", "for", "yet", "so") depends on the situation. There are three primary uses of conjunctions:




  1. When a coordinating conjunction is used to connect two independent clauses, a comma is always used. Examples:




    • I hit my brother with a stick, and he cried.


    • The rain stopped, and the sun came out again.

    • Should I eat dinner, or should I play a game?


  2. When a coordinating conjunction is used to connect a dependent clause, a comma is never used. This includes both of your given examples. Other examples:




    • The boy ran to his room and cried.

    • Frank is a healthy and active child.

    • Should I eat dinner or play a game?



  3. When a coordinating conjunction is used to connect three or more items or clauses, a comma is optional (though I personally prefer to use one). Examples:




    • I bought cheese, crackers, and drinks at the store.

    • Should I eat dinner, play a game, or go to the store?



No comments:

Post a Comment