Wednesday, February 28, 2018

slang - How prevalent is this reversal of "yes" and "no"?

Example:





Aren't you going to the store?




Where I am from, the correct answer indicating I am going to the store is yes. The contraction "not" is ignored. Is this sort of confusion prevalent elsewhere?






I don't understand what is so complicated about my question here:



Is this sort of confusion prevalent elsewhere?




I am not asking for any of the answers provided here. They are all grand answers, but they have nothing to do with my question, which is is bold this time. I am not asking how to answer this sort of question. I am not asking what this sort of statement means. I am furthermore not asking for an opinion. If you don't understand how ignoring the adverb "not" is confusing, please don't answer. I am asking a very simple question; one desiring a very simple answer.



To reiterate, the confusion arises from the fact that the proper response of "yes" and "no" is reversed.

No comments:

Post a Comment