Thursday, February 8, 2018

grammar - Must the subject be "I" when I start a sentence with "Considering"?



I think the best way to do this is using the examples below:




Considering it's going to be summer in Australia, you don't need to
take that many clothes with you.




Is the sentence correct?




Because I think the one that considers it's going to be summer in AU is clearly "me (who says the sentence)", not "you" in the sentence.



So I am wondering if the subject should be "I" in this case, for example:




Considering it's going to be summer in Australia, I think you don't need to
take that many clothes with you.



Answer




Considering "itself" is a preposition and a conjunction as defined:




preposition& conjunction



Taking into consideration: [as preposition]: ‘considering the
circumstances, Simon was remarkably phlegmatic’ [as conjunction]:
‘considering that he was the youngest on the field he played well’





[Oxford Online Dictionary]



Therefore, you don't have to worry about the subject of the independent clause.


No comments:

Post a Comment