Friday, January 27, 2017

Why is "where" used in this sentence?



A student showed me the following sentence in her English textbook. She asked me to clarify why where is used in the sentence. Since I cannot read Japanese, can someone please explain why? I have been taught that where is only used for places or situations. In this case, it seems to be describing the noun (a type of corn, whatever it is) in more detail.



enter image description here


Answer




I think you hit it with the word "situation". The condition of the corn kernel is a "situation"



See use 3 & 4 here:
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/situation





  1. condition; case; plight: He is in a desperate situation.

  2. the state of affairs; combination of circumstances: The present international situation is dangerous.





The desparate & dangerous examples should not lead one to believe that the situation must always be negative.


No comments:

Post a Comment