Tuesday, January 31, 2017

poetry - Should it be "you and I" or "you and me" in the song "We are the world"



In the song "We are the world" by Michael Jackson and Lionel Ritchie, there are these lyrics:




"We are the world,




We are the children



We are the ones who make a brighter day



So, let's start giving



There's a choice we're making



We're saving our own lives




It's true we'll make a better day



Just you and me"




Should the last line be "you and I"? Because the meaning is "you and I will make a better day".



Actually Michael Jackson asked this same question in the recording session, and someone (likely Quincy Jones) told him to sing "you and me". Is there any principal reason for this choice of words?


Answer




Grammatically speaking, you and I is correct, but clearly the wording was changed to make the song sound better. Try imagining the song with the word I instead of me and you'll get what I mean.


No comments:

Post a Comment