Tuesday, January 24, 2017

grammar - Difference between "taking into account" and "considering" when used as conjunctions of contrast

How do I explain the difference between "taking into account" and "considering" to ESL students and can they be used interchangeably in the following sentences?



"Taking into account that my sales are the highest of anyone on our team, I feel that I should get the corner office."



"Considering how long I've worked for this company, I think I should be promoted to a managerial position."



I realize that "that" must come after "taking into account" in the first sentence, but I could also say "considering that" - correct?



Also, I'd love any other specific pointers about how to place these phrases in sentences (e.g. only before nouns etc.). Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment