Friday, May 11, 2012

What sentence structure is this?



Nelson Mandela just passed away today. Many of my friends are writing tributes on their Facebook pages. One goes like this:




I typically have an aversion to joining the masses on these matters,
but far be it from me not to add to honouring of such a
history-making, extraordinary man
. If anyone deserves peaceful rest,
it's you, Mr. Mandela. A job well done.





(Emphasis mine)



I've never seen such sentence structure as far be it from me.... Can someone please help me analyse it?


Answer



It's a 17th-century rendering of what we might say as "I would never do that!" The person is saying that they are far from the position of espousing a certain view. the origin appears to be in the King James Bible (Authorised Version), 1 Samuel 20:20 - "far be it from me that I should swallow up or destroy".


No comments:

Post a Comment