Sunday, May 13, 2012

capitalization - How should I capitalize "Clean Up the Tags and Branches" as a title to a section?



Specifically, I am wondering how "Clean Up" should be capitalized. I have three plausible options:





  1. "Clean Up"

  2. "Clean-up"

  3. "Clean up"



It all really depends on what part of speech "up" is and whether it requires hyphenation.



I was thinking that "clean up" is a phrasal verb and... I don't know...


Answer



Working with Subversion, eh? :-)




As you said, clean up is a phrasal verb. Cleanup is a noun. (Hyphenation isn't appropriate for the verb form. If it were, I wouldn't capitalize "up.")



I agree with Barrie England's comment. You should capitalize "up" in the title because the linkage between the two words in a phrasal verb isn't as strong as if they were hyphenated.


No comments:

Post a Comment